Thursday, June 25, 2009

Mention my Effing Name




Before you read this I'm going to warn you these are my views and if you don't like them please exit stage left.

I'm up late and a partner of mine sends me a link to an article written by a friend, K Fresh. It speaks on artists from the great state of michigan. Ut even give a list of our up and coming artists. It includes: Danny Brown. Marvwon, Chief, Finale, Street Justice, Apollo Brown, Hex, DJ Dez, Nick Speed, Samiyam, 5 Ela and Name Tag. Now the article is kinda old (March 09) but it struck a nerve with me honestly. Actually it raised a question. "How the HELL do you talk about DETROIT Hip Hop, it's innovators and what they will do to bring detroit into the next decade and not mention QUEST MCODY?

Don't get this confused I'm not writing this to discredit anyone mentioned on this list because they are all viable assets to our scene, but give some damn credit where credit is due. Not just in this article, but ANY article talking about OUR hip hop scene.

I've represented OUR hip hop scene on NUMEROUS occasions on an international platform. MTV, BET, SHOWTIME, Channel U in the UK, Hip Hop For Life DVDs I could go on for days. On top of that I released one of if not the best album out of OUR scene, in the past year and have pushed the envelope on what a live show experience should be. On top of that I was the ONLY michigan artist named in Vibe's Best unsigned artists review. I should be in EVERY discussion about OUR hip hop scene.

I'm going to stop looking at it as "they sleeping on me". I'm taking this sh!t as disrespect. Mention my name. PERIOD. I represent Detroit Hip Hop just as much if not more than anyone on any list, anywhere. Recognize this. This isn't necessarily an attack on this particular article. This is just the article that sparked this blog. Maybe it's because how close to home it is. Maybe I feel that if ANYONE should know my homie Fresh should know and if he's looking over me there a problem. Somebody told me the other day that if you don't demand it don't get mad when they don't provide it.

Well this is my demand.

Not putting me on any list when it comes to our scene is a slap in the face.

The next time you read an article talking about OUR scene and my name isn't mentioned consider it only 99% truth. It's not whole without me.

Quest MCODY

No comments:

Post a Comment